One day, I discovered that my friend was using Microsoft Teams, while I use Slack daily and had no prior knowledge of Microsoft Teams. My friend likes the software but occasionally gets frustrated while using it. This sparked my curiosity, and I decided to write a case study to explore the differences between the two platforms.
I began researching Microsoft Teams and discovered that it is a powerful tool often utilized by large companies and those who frequently use Microsoft tools. However, I encountered some issues with the software. Many people mention that some features and options are not intuitive or easy to use. Additionally, the product lacks proper notifications.
Companies often hesitate to update the UI or user-flow unless it's a critical issue because doing so requires the involvement of multiple teams and can be costly. Additionally, it can be more complex than it initially seems. As a UX designer, it's essential not only to identify problems but also to gain a better understanding of how the UI code is constructed. In many cases, UI components use internal or enterprise libraries. While using libraries expedites product development, it may have downsides - UI lacks intuitiveness, making adjustments challenging. Therefore, it's crucial to collaborate with engineers, understand how UI components are built, and assess the feasibility of cost versus gain, of implementing new features.
In this case study, I will focus on minor improvements that can reduce user confusion and enhance their experience when using Microsoft Teams product.
Microsoft Teams has become a crucial tool for remote work, and here are some statistics that highlight its usage and impact:
In this case study, I use my method to examine real user feedback online. Many users have mentioned that the software is difficult to learn, some features lack intuitiveness, notifications are lacking, and there are bugs.
At my current company, we work closely with Microsoft, and some parts of our work involve using Microsoft applications. So, I downloaded the web application to conduct tests.
However, my version lacked real data, so I borrowed my friend's computer to test specific aspects with real communications.
After collecting this information, I dedicated time to conduct a comprehensive product test and understand the pain points mentioned by users.
I aimed to create a simple and clean user interface, with a primary focus on ensuring the transition process is intuitive and delivering a user-friendly experience.
Because Android is the platform that most users use, I chose to modify the Android layout first.
It was enjoyable to research the product that I use daily and the competitor's apps. Even though the concept is the same, the methods vary significantly, and some are quite unique. In the future, I would like to run user tests to gather real feedback from users.
Additionally, it was fun to invest time in learning a bit about Material design and apps.